The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Friday, April 3, 2009

Early Season Setbacks

In cycling, setbacks typically mean injury or illness.

For the first time in my cycling career I have an injury that may effect my training and racing.
Almost two weeks ago during a mountain bike training ride on trails around my house I dumped it and landed hard on my side. The wind was knocked out of me but that's only temporary and I thought nothing more about it. Now I'm thinking that I fractured or have a badly bruised rib.

Yeah, you can say I'm a typical guy - avoiding a doctors check. But today I'm heading over to the training center to get an x-ray. I'm not sure what can be done but as others have told me I should know how I bad I hurt myself.

On the topic of injuries - my team has had a string of bad luck which includes broken hands, a wrist and a dislocated shoulder. Injuries are a aspect of the sport that everyone is aware of but after 5 years of relative healthy racing the team has had a rough start to the 09 campaign.
I'm just glad that it happening 7 months after the Olympic Year and not 2 months before.

No comments: