The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Friday, June 5, 2009

Hugo Road Race.

In my opinion, a true Road Race is what Bike Racing really is. So many times I find Crits, Hill Climbs and Time Trials occupying most of the race schedule. When I do see a RR on the schedule I make sure I'm at the start line.

This particular race was held in Hugo CO -out in the middle of nowhere. A 78 mile jaunt that felt like it sent us to Kansas.
The Beauty of this kind of race is the calm before the storm. Typically, it starts a bit hard and after a few miles everyone remembers that we have a couple of hours to go. Being at the right place, sensing the collective itch to attack and making that move is that unspoken battle that I most enjoy.
Unfortunately, Some days things do not go as planned. At mile 19 while cruising along with 60 other riders I run over some broken up pavement and my rear wheel is without air in a moment. A quick wheel change from the support car and a helpful draft gets me almost back until the car needs to stop for another rider. As I was in pursuit, I noticed my brake pad was rubbing on a carbon rim. A reason to stop yet again. And that was my race. Time Trialing back up to them was a lost cause. 60 riders vs. me were not favorable odds.
pedaling home after almost 4 hours I realized fitness only takes you so far. Awareness helps to.

The race season is here - I'll be racing most weekends regionally with my focus being the Road National Championships Held in Bend OR in late July.

Cheers!

No comments: