The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Know your opponents!

This past week the the UCI posted on their the website www.uci.ch
the current classification list for all current Para-Cyclist.
Lots of people ask me to explain this, so here's a quick run down.

Each athlete is examined by an international panel of Doctors. The examination is
to place each rider in a classification with athletes with similair physical limitations.

In the 2009 every cyclist completing at an international level was reclassed using a different formula. The focus was to identify one's functionality on the bike instead of going off of a more medical based exam.

So with all that said, I was classed as a C-3. I looked at the other riders in this new class. I know a handleful of them already. It will again be very difficult to stand on a podium this season. But I do have the results to rival anyone in the my class.

No comments: