The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Prepping and packing for World Cup #1

The First Paralympic World Cup is scheduled for next week outside of Madrid Spain. A world Cup series is new to Para-Cycling. This marks another step foward for a sport that is evolving by leaps and bounds each year. These World Cup races along the World Championships and smaller international events offer myself and my team more oppurtunities to race with the best cyclists in the World.
Even though this is my first Paralympic Race of the year I have been racing regionally for the past several months. The benefit of living in Colorado Springs is that I can go head to head with some of the nations best on a weekly if not daily basis. I often will link up with another cyclist or tiathlete from the Olympic Center who can push me that much further. As many of you know, training is a science of fine tuning you body to be at your absolute fastest at the times it's needed. I work with my long time coach - CTS Coach Tom Murphy - to ramp up my training from endurance building in the winter and spring to a higher degree of intensity that will be needed in races like the one I'll be at next week. Tom has been with me since 2004 and over that length of time he has learned how I respond to different training stratagies. Our relationship has resulted in a training program that is specific to my physical skills. I must say that Tom is the one that has taken me from a local bike racer to being ranked 5th in the world and 2 National Titles.
The days leading up to an oversees trip is always choatic. Balancing work responsibilities and squeezing in crucial last minute workouts can be extremely tiring. Part of training is resting. To make sure that I rest properly and get my other things done is tough. These last few days will include packing two bikes, race wheels, clothing and other needed bike equipment and trying to spend a few minutes with my wife before I leave her for a week.
It may sound like alot and overwhelming at times. Yes, that's true but the thrill of racing and the honor of representing our country in sport is worth all of the stress and demands.
I'll be racing in 3 events while in spain. The races start on the 11th and finish up on the 13th. Two will be road races and the one will be an individual time trial. I expect to be in the mix and fighting for a podium position.

Thanks for reading.
- Mike

No comments: