The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Sunday, September 6, 2009

day 1 - Italy.

Italy is a beautiful land.
Just as the postcards advertise.
The team and I arrived yesterday afternoon after somewhat of an easy flight.
We unpacked, put together our bikes and were off on a pre-dinner spin.
The travel day caught up with me last night. I clocked in 11 hours of sleep
I'm thinking it was due to the flight and the past month of 12 hour work/training days.

Today, Team USA went out and rode the race course. Starting in a small town we headed
out into the country with a view of the distance Alps. Similiar to Pike's Peak yet more dramatic and will a great deal more snow. The course steers back into town and kicks a few different times before dropping into the finishing straight. European roads are famous for being narrow and Italy I guess likes giant stone walls to line their bike trail sized side streets.
With under 2 km's to go the road hits a 90 degree right which comes at the base of the quickest down hill. If I don't crash there I will be surprised. Everyone will risk something to be first thru.
So far it's been fun. We all have a fog of fatigue that's hanging over us but what's been exprienced has been pure postcard Italy. I've only left the hotel on the bicycle and that is the norm on these type trips. Legs up, drink water, naps and rides are the coaches orders. Boring but I'm not complaining.
I should be able to post some pictures starting tomorrow.

No comments: