The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Friday, June 25, 2010

US Nationals wrap up

The last race of the week was the most important of the season for myself. The Time Trial represented the qualifier for the World Championship team. The Road Race title was a nice result two days prior but the week would be a failure if I didn't show up and put in a solid time on the Time Trial course.
During warm ups I tangled up with a teammate and hit the deck rather hard. I landed on my weak side, immediately my leg went numb and I was worried that I wouldn't even be able to start the race. At that point there was about twenty minutes to shake off the trauma and get the bike back to working properly. At the start line there was a welt growing but the mind was calm and the routine of racing brought me some peace of mind.
In the first few Kilometers I knew that my legs weren't firing so the race quickly became a show of will power. Several times the question of how bad I wanted to win was answered by a renewed focus to grit it out. Towards the end of the race I was in rough shape. My eyes were closing, legs were screaming and a part of my mind was asking why I even do this sport.
The results came back with good news. A silver medal at the 2010 US National Championships and a spot on the World Championship team.
This past month yielded a Road Race National Title, A Sliver Medal in the Time Trail as well as a podium position at the UCI Para-Cycling World Cup held in Spain a few ago.
A medal of every color. Not too shabby.
Up next, US Track National Championships in Colorado Springs at the end of July.

No comments: