The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

US Nationals

I'm coming off a podium position at the Para-Cycling World Cup with a fistful of confidence. This week being US Nationals I'm thrilled of how I raced in Spain and how my form is coming into this event.
This week has three National titles up for grabs. Road Race, Crit and Time Trial titles. Yesterday I raced in the Road Race within the C1-3 Classification. The new structuring of the Paralympic Classifications has benefited me compared to the last several years where I was racing athletes that were far less impaired than myself.
The race was shortened to 40 km. Far shorter than the usually 65 km. The race began slowly with people trying to conserve energy for the upcoming Time Trial. Halfway through I began to make a few jumps to see where I stood within the group. I felt strong with how my legs were and how the group responded. With 2 laps to go I made a counter attack which cut the group to just myself and another rider. We worked together until the last lap. I attacked on the final climb with full intention. This made the split I was looking for and I rolled in at a TT pace to Claim my first ever road Title and three National Title of my career!

Up next is the Crit and on thursday is the Time Trial/Worlds Team Qualifier.

No comments: