The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Just about to head into the Dining room at the Olympic Training Center for some needed

dinner.

Finished a hard weekend of training that consisted of both TT specific training and a climbing based Group training ride.

On Saturday I headed out with the normal crew that I train with but this time I was on my little rocketship that I Time Trial with.

In a group it's best to stay off the back or off the front.

We rode south with a head wind and increasing rain. The TT bike allowed me to get around the group and take several pulls at the front that was well over my lactate threshold which always burns a bit. The good thing repeating these short efforts and holding the pace of the group is that you are forced to keep a high effort while recovering.

Today, I went off with some of the same riders but this time on my Road bike and through a hilly route. The major climb through the Air Force Academy allowed me to keep a hard tempo for a good length of time. Hard sustained climbs combined with yesterday's shorter efforts is a way to work on two skills that are crucial in improving fitness.



Looking at my PowerTap I notice that my wattage has been improving in the past few weeks.

I'll give the credit to Tommy Murphy (my coach)who not only assigns me the workouts but hold me accountable to every pedal stroke.

2 comments:

cowhorse7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cowhorse7 said...

Hi Mike,
I'm Megan Cahill's aunt who lives in Bend, Oregon. I just sent you an email regarding your racing in Bend next week. If you didn't get it, you might check your junk email account.

cyndy marshall
bend, or