The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Monday, June 8, 2009

Hitting the time.

This past Saturday I raced in the Colorado State Time Trial Championships.

All the local Time Trials I race are used as a test of fitness. Within the Time Trial format I'm able to see how fast I am or how fast I need to be.

In the Time Trial format - an averaged time per kilometer is the baseline for qualifying. This qualifying time is averaged off of the Time Trial results from the past world Championship and Paralympic Games performances. This way each athlete is competing directly against their international competition. It's a system that allows athletes from varying classifications can go head to head.
A percentage is calculated off of the per km time and then compared.
If a rider beats or goes below their per km time then they qualify for the 2009 Paralympic Team.

On Sat. with that possibility in the fore front of my mind I raced with a purpose. Going out a little to hot - maybe! I remanded steady and caught my minuteman. The last couple of km's were a steady drag uphill. I climb everyday due to where I live, Fell into a familiar rhythm and powered home.
Going over the calculations with my teammates I found that I made the time. This marks that I'm riding well with under two months till the National Championships.

No comments: