The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Sunday, September 28, 2008

A change in roles

9.28.08

5 years ago I sat in a conference room at the OTC amazed at just being there.
It was during a developmental camp that I attended.
This past weekend I was at that camp again but not with the wide-eyed, open mouth expression
that I remember having. This time I had a new role, that of a paralympic veteran.

For years now, Former Paralympic Cyclist Pam Fernandez has used these Developmental camps to introduce disabled athletes to the Paralympic Movement . The camp is based at the Colo. Springs OTC and offers the athlete the chance to live among the best of the best and train in that fashion. Training rides are accompanied by a support vehicle and led by elite level coaches. For myself, this camp gave me a taste of what it's like to be a pro athlete. Many of my current teammates had their start at Pam's camp.
Many of the riders asked about the training and the level of competition we face internationally. Everyone seemed impressed by the facility and the excited about the possibility of joining the team. I stressed that even though the Elite Team receives many perks it only comes after lots of hard work. I spoke about how excited I was but also how "green" I was when I attended the this camp. How race training goes from riding hard to nearly a science. Most of the guys were unfazed bye my horror stories of training in the snow and cold. I think it only made them want to get out and ride that much more.
This morning I said goodbye to maybe a few of my future teammates.

No comments: