The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Sunday, September 7, 2008

day 1 summary

9.7.08



Most of the time jitters and nerves done get to me while racing the bike.

The only moment is when I clip in at the gait waiting for the count down. Then I ride and I calm.

But this time I was racing in China at the biggest sporting event in my life!



The size of the event probably came into play when by lap four I was way hot and just

burning up my engine. I felt good and I tried to believe that holding that pace was possible.

Then the breathing catches up to the adrenaline spike and the muscle burn brings you back

to reality. In the last few laps I had enough of my coach yelling splits.

All I wanted to hear was the beautiful sound of the bell, indicating 1 lap to go.

20 seconds of pure hell to go. Getting off the bike I was dizzy, unable to stand or talk.

Michelle - my wonderful staff/friend helped me down the ramp and onto my other bike.



Regardless of my result or anyone else's - the buzz it in the air and the talk is of composition.

Here in Beijing, THE WORLD IS AT PLAY!!

4 comments:

lynn said...

Mike,
Glad to hear you survived your first race! I am glued to the internet (sportTV whatever) and the results aren't there yet (it's almost 2:00 pm, Sunday afternoon) but we will keep checking. I did print out a piece from Friday that listed your name! It mentioned Greta. Give her our best wishes! Just talked to Jack (Pam's grandfather),and helped him find your blogspot. We are thinking of you and wishing you luck. More later; Lynn and Peg are playing at the Cranberry Festival and I'm heading over there. Rest and enjoy some down time. Love, Judi

justinp said...

Much Love and Congrats from some guys at Nauset! Emily and Justin Pechonis wish you the best and will keep you in our Prayers. You got there Mike! You inspire us all!

gale said...

Mike,It was good to hear from you on sunday night what a surprise.We have been glued to the internet to catch a look at you at your race.coverage is not that good unless you swim.What a dream come true for you,great job.love ya mom

Unknown said...

Mike you are already a winner in my book! Keep up the fight, I know what you are capable of doing. Stay away from those poo poo platters. charlie