The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Race of Truth.

9.12.08

A solid and steady effort kept me from cracking and allowed me to
overtaken my main Rival and earn my highest placing in the
2008 Paralympic Games.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRMP/ENG/Schedule/index.shtml

The course was hilly, hot and breezy - conditions that made suffering out
on the Chinese Countryside that much more grueling.
This Time Trial, I was not alone. Following me in two support vehicles were
my coaches Jim and Craig. Shouts of wisdom like "keep your Cadence"
reminded me not to overcook myself on the many false flats.

With 5 km to go I was pushing every watt I had out of my legs. The pain
of breathing so rapidly was eclipsed only by each muscle tissue tearing apart
and loading with lactic acid. Reminding myself where I was kept me from
listening to my more rational side, the one that pleaded with me to stop the pain.
Crossing the line I was finished, nearly crashing into the barrier and falling off the bike.
I was shaking, trying desperately to dump enough water over my head and down my throat
to come back to life.

That Time Trialing! Now it's time to recover and ready myself for the carnage of
the Paralympic Road Race.

1 comment:

cowhorse7 said...

Congratulations Mike ! I'm cheering you on from Bend, Oregon. Saw the fantastic article about you in the Cape Cod Times online. Very proud to have you over there representing the USA!!

I pray for clear minds, strength and safety you and your team mates.

God Bless, Cyndy Marshall

PS: love the music!!