The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Road Race

9.13.08

The Race consisted of nearly 40 of the greatest Cyclists this planet has to offer,
with one catch - each one of them had some physical impairment.

To make the Event more exciting and with a deeper field, the IPC merged
the fastest three Classes. I ended up riding with below the Knee Amputees
and with Arm Amps along with my CP/nerve damage based class.

6 laps around the lake meant 6 times up a rather painful hill. But the hill wasn't
what dropped me. Instead a S-turn going into the Start/finish area was what set me back.
With my weak side not trustworthy I take a more cautious line through tight corners.
To be honest, A few more times up that climb with the lead pack would have blinded
me with pain and send me into the barriers or kept from finishing.
I found a chase group to finish with.
On the last lap I sat up, looked around and breathed in the moment. In front of Thousands
racing in China against the Worlds best I just had to laugh. What a moment!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can just see you now crossing that finish line with that big grin,like you just beat the world. I'm really proud of you Mike, your the man! charlie