The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Saturday, August 23, 2008


8.22.08

My plan was to be properly fitted to my new bike. These days a proper
fit is done a couple of ways. The most common is by tape measure. The body is measured from joint to joint and the bike is adjusted to create the angles that's most comfortable and powerful.
The high-tech method is by using sensors and a computer. My coach will place sensors on each joint and create an image of those joints in motion onto a computer screen. The image will be a stick figure pedaling an invisable bike. I will ride my old bike and new bike and then compare the images. The idea is to adjust my new bikes position to replicate the position I've used for years. This way my body feels no change and I will feel confident while racing.
But of course this did not happen due to general craziness of my day. We rescheduled the fitting for Sunday evening after I return from racing in the mountains. My day did include a training ride that sent me into a nearby Canyon for hill work. I climbed up the steep 3 mile pitch twice, each time noticing a BEAR sitting on the side of the road playing peekaboo behind a tree. You just near know what you'll see in the mountains.

No comments: