The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Monday, August 25, 2008

Headed to a Triathlon?

8.23.08

Steamboat Springs,CO. Aka Ski Town USA. Is where the triathlon
that I'll race in is being held. Yes, I said Triathlon - But don't worry
It's not what you think. Before hearing that I was selected to the Beijing Team
A few friends asked me to do the bike leg of a relay team. I agreed believing that
my season was over and spending a weekend in Steamboat and racing a little would be fun.
Then I got the call up. After talking with Coach Tommy, we both agreed that the race
would be a great last test of my speed and fitness. The bike leg is on rolling 20 mile
road that runs along the Yampa River. The distance is longer than what I'll find in Beijing but sustaining a hard effort for longer fits my training program well.

The race is on Sunday, today was the travel day. After calling USADA ( Doping Controls)
I drove 4 plus hours through some beautiful Colorado Mountains to one of more spectacular ski towns in all of the U.S.
Pam and I rode the course to loosen the legs, drove another hour to friends cabin and
relaxed. No matter how many times I told her this was prep for Beijing she claimed I was becoming a Tri-geek.

No comments: