The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Friday, August 22, 2008

a new machine

8.21.08

Before I begin I'd like to wish one of my greatest supporters a happy birthday.
To my Brother - Happy Birthday Kyle!

Ironic that this is the day that I receive a brand new bicycle. Through
Anthony's Cyclery I was send a Carbon Fiber Racing bike by FUJI. It was sent to me specifically to be raced in the Paralympic Games.
The bike sports a 10 speed Dura Ace Drive Train, carbon fiber frame, fork and seatpost.
I'll be on Zipp 303 race wheels while in Beijing.

As for my training, I was again on the velodrome, not to race but to put in more specific intervals. A series of 1 & 3 kilometer efforts to replicate what I'll do over there. These two distances are extremely different. The one kilometer is an all out - hang on type of effort. I use a traditional set of drop handlebars which helps me with my acceleration out of the starting gate and overall power. These bars do limit my aerodynamic position and is considered slower overall. The 3 kilometer pursuit is my hardest event. For me the trickiest aspect is the pacing. During the race I have a coach in one the turns yelling my splits, the idea is to be steady. I have a tendency to push it too hard and fade towards the end. When I say push it too hard I'm talking a vomit inducing effort.
I'm glad to see that the 3km pursuit is my first event and on the first day of competition.

No comments: