The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Halfway to Kansas


Colorado has two distinct physical regions, The Mountains and the Prairie.
Where I live is at he bottom of one of 50 plus 14,000 ft peaks that Colorado has but it's also
on the border of the prairie. This point is the very beginning of the great plains of the Midwest.
With that said my workout took me east.
I was to do 3 intervals of 20 minutes at a high sustainable intensity. Also I was in on my TT bike
which hints to how specific each of these workouts are.
After getting out of town, I put my head down and found my pace. After the second effort
I looked around and noticed I was in cattle and ranch country. A man with shaven legs and
rocking spandex from head to toe is definitely a ranch hand. I pulled into a store to fill my bottles.
The man did a quick double take before saying Hello. realizing I was wearing my USA jersey
I mentioned how I was training for China. With that his eyes softened and he gave me a "good luck"

On my pedal home I thought how even being half way to Kansas and completely out of my element
representing our country means a great deal to a great many people.

No comments: