The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm riding - rain or shine!

8.12.08

Today it was rain and at times a lot of it. My workout was to sustain
the highest effort for a 35 minute period, 2 times with a short rest. The effort is measured by real time Wattage output and heartrate. The wattage is a measurement of the force I apply
to the pedals. It has nothing to do with speed or "feeling fast".
I found a nearby climb, moderate but long enough for the effort.
Half way up the rains came. Soaking me and a few other riders I happened
to find climbing the same hill.
As I rode in a controlled hyperventilation the rains took away my vision but could not stop me.
For every pedal stroke in the next month or so is for one goal - to win in China.
The mantra that rolls through my head is strong enough to ride up mountains in
heavy rains and thunderstorms.
It's either my iron will or my oxygen deprived mind not understanding that
people should not be riding in a possible flash flood.

- mike

No comments: