The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Thursday, August 28, 2008

My comfort zone


8.27.08

Lots of cyclist hate Time Trialing and for good reason. A long, hard paced effort does not feel all that great and it's easy to focus on the pain. I have always like that feeling of being so close to quiting but pushing through the pain for extra speed. On a Time Trial bike and in the aerobars I feel fast no matter how slow I may be.
My last major workout before packing up and heading out was 2x30 minutes on the TT bike with maximum but sustained effort. This type of workout is as much mental as it is physical. To hold the proper wattage and speed for 30 minutes requires a strong will and lots of self motivation.
It's always been interesting to me to find that sweet rhythm that can be held but is not holding anything back. For most of the 60 minutes I was either near or at a hyperventilation state. My aim in all TT's are to crack with a few hundred meters to go and struggle in so that I know I've left it all on the course.
Cruising home I felt tired but satisfied with my efforts and with my training as a whole. But, doubt always creeps in as to "was it good enough?" or "will my taper be spot on?"
That's when I call my coach.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mike, I will be cheering for you. As far as strong will and self motivation, your the man. Good luck. Charlie Munroe