The daily ramblings of a paralympic cyclist

Friday, August 29, 2008

Becoming Team USA



8.28.08

A couple of days to go. I've been asked "are you excited? No, too busy to think about about. The excited started to creep in when I recieved our team clothing today. Never in my life have I ever been on a bigger shopping spree.
As proud Sponsors of the US Olympic Team, Nike and Ralph Lauren has outfitted us with every article of clothing I'd ever think of wearing. Everything from Nike Sandels & sneakers to Team USA Sweater Vests.
With a shopping cart and a checklist, each athlete, coach and support staff made their way around to different tables to try on the clothes. The tailors we present to make sure the Ralph Lauren suits would look good for the cameras. I went through the process with my team. It was nice to see how loose and excited everyone was.
My evening was spent packing my bikes and other equipment and then bringing them over to the Training Center. Cycling is one of those sports that requires quite a bit of equipment.
Here's a run down of what's going with me;

3 bikes (Track, TT and Road Bike)
1 set of Race wheels ( only one because the team has the other two sets)
two helmets (aero & road)
Extra Tires & tubes
Extra Shifter & Brake Cables
Extra Chains & cassettes
Extra Brake Pads ( for carbon & alloy rims)
Two Team USA Racing kits ( worn during Road Race)
Two Team USA Skin suits ( worn during TT and Track events)
And the Team USA Suitcase filled with our Team USA gear.

A cycling team in an airport is never what the airline folks want to see coming!!

No comments: